Thread: SBB App misery
View Single Post
Old 17.09.2020, 14:50
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,245 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB App misery

Quote:
View Post
I've never had a problem with the Fairtiq app, which does the same...
Whereas on Tuesday evening there were problems with the SBB servers preventing you from buying tickets or using Fairtiq.

I got on a train a couple minutes before departure and tried to use Fairtiq and it didn’t work, leaving me not enough time to get off and get a ticket and getting a later train would have caused me major issues with my onward connection to an appointment. I took a screenshot to show I’d tried to swipe in on good time in case I got checked. Typically, I did get checked and was told that the SBB app is an additional service and I need to have a ticket before I board. I argued a bit and a more reasonable ticket checker came and said that I should be allowed to pay for a ticket on board, but I could only pay cash. Having just come back from Italy I only had Euros and a few GBP on me. They were happy to Euros at a silly exchange rate thankfully.

I’m sure by the T&Cs they were right, but if they are going to offer a service like Fairtiq and make it harder to buy tickets before you get on the train (or the distance from train to ticket machine is a long way like in Zurich HB), SBB need to have a bit of common sense when their own IT systems aren’t working.
The following 3 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post: