View Single Post
Old 07.10.2020, 10:57
Forum Legend

Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,497 Times in 2,296 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Split unit AC - Freienbach

First of all, I think that maintaining anything less than 18-19C is going to be a real challenge. The building/house will capture heat in the summer and store it. A portion will "leak" into the living area. In the heating season neighbours in the building will be heating. Some of that, depending on the location of your apt. will work it's way into your apt.

Keep in mind that most fixed split systems will be about 12-15'000 btu. One system will not cool a whole apt. or house to your desired temperature.

There are a couple of possible solutions without going for the fixed split system that requires cantonal approval.

First, depending on the orientation of the windows (South) you can have them covered with a metallic film that reflects 90 % (from memory) of the heat load coming in from the windows (the greatest heat load impact in the apt/house). I would suggest that you have it done professionally as the DYI stuff can look pretty nasty. I imagine there will be people to do it in ZH as there are suppliers down at this end of the country.

Second, look at getting one or more portable split systems from Fust (Novamatic CL 990 split) that are 15,000 btu (good for 55m2 - 146m3). The compresser can be hung out the window and the window can be easily sealed (the cable is not very thick). Portable units do not need Cantonal approval. These are not cheap but they get around the approval issue and work as well or better than the fixed units.