View Single Post
Old 08.10.2020, 21:31
Forum Legend

Groaned at 74 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,068 Times in 4,504 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving with Uber

Quote:
View Post
If it's within the same city I would be tempted to do it myself with 3 trips on the tram.
Yes, this. Many people transport their goods by public transport, using a trolley. See this: https://www.englishforum.ch/3203380-post2.html
Even though it was written about how to look up "barrier-free" in Zurich, presumably similar info will be available for your public transport system.

Quote:
View Post
... take a picture of all your loads, go to the nearest taxi stand and show your pic to the drivers and ask them if they will accept you.
This is very wise advice. You'll soon gather from their reaction what they (as Taxi drivers, and it won't be much different for an Uber driver) think is reasonable, or not, and what they would charge.
Taxis charge waiting-time, i.e. minutes that they are available for you, but not yet driving. That rate would probably apply while you were walking backwards and forwards loading up the car. Uber charges by the minute.

Quote:
View Post
There were some non-hopeless people sending me private messages to help me move and asking for money.
Good for them! Perhaps good for you, too, if you accept their help and pay them the fee. After all, if you travel by Uber or Taxi, or hire a van (even through Mobility) you'll have to pay, too. The only way I know of, to do it for free or nearly free, it to carry the goods yourself, by public transport (see above).

Quote:
View Post
Ddid you secure your display somehow? I recommend to have a least a box and fill it with clothes.
Good advice.

Good luck with your move!
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: