View Single Post
Old 13.10.2020, 09:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,689 Times in 10,974 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax implications for 250k salary

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm considering an offer to move from Asia to Zurich, but I just wanted to check that I have my numbers right when it comes to determining final take-home pay. I'm quite excited by the prospect, but I'm afraid that financially it actually doesn't make sense. I'm expecting about 250k CHF total annual compensation (same as what I earn now), so I'll use this figure below to work things out.

In my current position, I just pay about 15% in tax + 3% into a pension (similar to pillar 2), i.e. total 18%, and my take-home pay is therefore 205k annually, or 17k/month.

I used swisstaxcalculator.estv.admin.ch to calculate tax and contributions (leaving the default deducations), and added various items like pension and health insurance, and it comes down to this:

Federal______14,577___5.8%
Cantonal_____16,450___6.6%
Municipal_____19,575___7.8% (assuming living centrally for now)
OASI________12,813___5.1%
Unemplment___2,139___0.9%
Accident________593___0.2%
Pension______12,500___5.0% (?)
Health ins____12,000___4.8% (for two people)
TOTAL_______90,647___36.3%

Take-home = 250k - 91k = 159k
Monthly = 13k

So if I'm correct, it seems my take-home pay would be 25% less, i.e. decreasing by about 4000 CHF/month or roughly 50,000 CHF per year (ouch). In addition, I estimate my rent in Zurich would be about 1000CHF more than what I pay now, so it's actually more like a 30% cut in disposable income.

I just wanted to check that I have my facts straight and that I'm not missing something (either a cost or a benefit). Is the above correct, at least approximately? I completely realise that 250k is a large and comfortable salary which I am lucky to receive, and it is plenty to live off, so I am not complaining - I am just comparing with my current situation. There are other factors at play too in the decision!

Thanks for your help!
Health insurance no's look bonkers, sure it's possible to spend that much if you try.

Depending on your passport living in ZG/SG might be a better bet.
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post: