View Single Post
Old 15.10.2020, 14:45
AndersonMD AndersonMD is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pully
Posts: 93
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts
AndersonMD is considered knowledgeableAndersonMD is considered knowledgeableAndersonMD is considered knowledgeable
Re: Should Dependent Spouse request for independent B?

Yes, otherwise I'm sure she will be able to get her own work permit which will be durable. It's just really annoying, she has at least another year at EPFL, but they say,

"Les post-doctorants peuvent être admis en vertu de l’art. 40 OASA s’ils souhaitent poursuivre leur formation dans le cadre de projets de recherche dans le domaine de leurs études et de leurs travaux précédents. La durée maximale de ce statut est de huit ans. Dès lors, tant que votre épouse peut bénéficier de ce permis, il ne sera pas possible que vous obteniez votre propre statut."

So it could be 8 years under a student permit, which will make me 9 years effectively under a student permit, then assuming one of us gets a durable permit it will be another 2 years. So that is 11 years here before I am eligible to apply for a C (instead of 5 as a Canadian).

Neither of us are students, we both have full time positions at startups, there just seems to be something broken with the system when you get trapped in student status because Switzerland and the EU administer tonnes of "startup" grants through the university, (Bridge, Innogrant, Innosuisse projects, etc) so you get stuck with the status of a student while working for a company. Her success in raising funds has become a major negative for our residence status.
Reply With Quote