View Single Post
Old 19.10.2020, 18:51
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,192 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I can't read you! - Deafness and Masks

Quote:
View Post
I'm quite deaf and although I have hearing aids that help me tremendously, I am reliant on lip reading.

I'm having a hard time with people wearing masks, and especially with all the perspex screens going up between me and many services, which makes it even more difficult to hear - I find it really stressful.

Are any other hard-of-hearing people having a difficult time not being able to read lips under face masks?
I am with you there, it is awful for me too!!
95% I need to lipread, the rest I make up with noises I get via the hearing aids.

Yesterday, we celebrated our one year wedding anniversary and booked the same restaurant, where we had the reception a year ago. We know the landlords of the place quite well and always had a good natter when we went there for a meal.

Yesterday, however both the maitre d' and the chef wore masks and I needed hubby to tell me what was said.

Somehow jokes etc lose their fun when relayed by a 2nd or 3rd party and the evening sort of wasn't the same as it always was like before for me and I felt partly properly uncomfortable.

I do comply of course and wear my mask when I go out, but I also feel I am thrown back in my independence.

We will keep on cultivating or social life, but instead of going out, where it is more stressful than enjoyable for me now, we will invite friends 2 to 4 at one go, for a meal to our place.