Thread: US born
View Single Post
Old 20.10.2020, 17:24
ARMD ARMD is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Geneva
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
ARMD has no particular reputation at present
US born

Hey everyone, I know this forum is for Switzerland but maybe someone can lead me in the right direction. So my relative is a minor, born in the US but her dad was a diplomat in Washington DC at the time, the family left 3 months later. She is non-EU. The 14th amendment states : All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. Now unfortunately children of diplomats dont gain citizenship based on general practice because there is agreement that diplomats aren't subject to US jurisdiction (I'll spare you the technicalities). However this article explains how some do get citizenship.
For those that are interested :

I know 2 people, both born in the US in the late 1990s, whose father was a diplomat at the time in NY and they have US citizenship. I don't know how and never got myself to ask how this is possible.

Now should my relative (well her family considering she's a minor) apply for a US passport from abroad ? She has a birth certificate and a Social Security Number (SSN). The family hasn't lived in the US since they left.

Any ideas, leads, insight etc...?

Again I hope I haven't broken any rules posting this here, this forum is my go to place.
Reply With Quote