View Single Post
Old 22.10.2020, 12:08
Forum Legend

Groaned at 301 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 22,438 Times in 8,144 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Google antitrust

Quote:
View Post
The prospect of Google owning a restaurant ...

You would be presented a menu based on what you ordered at other restaurants.

The food would be free but they would interrupt the meal at inconvenient moments to show you advertisements.
They'd know your allergies.

They'd already know that it is your wife's birthday and suggest you a list of surprises from cake to flowers.

They'd know your approximate income and spending habits, so a menu based on what you can afford...

They'd know my wine taste, so I get personalized recommendations instead of an 80 page wine list.

They'd know my previous reviews and therefore have an idea how I like my service, say for example not the chatty American style,... and act accordingly.

I don't agree that google advertisement is intrusive, quite the opposite. So I'd expect the same in their restaurant. Like a small note with "You liked the wine? Buy it in our shop and get it delivered to your home" on the bottle... its actually more likely that you got the advertisement before to book the table... "Dont forget your wifes birthday in two weeks! Our tables are already 85% booked for the date, so better reserve now!"

While I fully agree to the risks of a monopoly do I not get the hate... they didnt get to their strong market position through political power, lobbying or any of the ways most oil companies, pharma giants or telecom operators did... they simply grew because they offered services people really really liked.
The following 3 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post: