View Single Post
Old 23.10.2020, 21:19

Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
CheshireCa has no particular reputation at present
Re: If you rent two homes, where do you pay tax?

Quote:
View Post
Well, it is because you're trying to work out how to avoid paying tax at what is probably your main residence. Are you really trying to tell us you're going to tell the tax authority where your main residence is that you're moving to another canton for a month to avoid paying the tax you owe them? Pull the other one.

I don't know, but I would guess being resident for the major part of the year, i.e. at least 183 days.

If you can afford to rent two places you shouldn't need to worry about taxation anyway, you can more than afford to pay your dues.
Actually, it is not according to 183. It is according to your residency at the end of the tax year.

What I am asking is not what will happen if I am resident at A for most of the year and then at B for only December. The answer to this is clear in the tax law, and it is that I will pay the tax at B. This is again, accepted standard of tax planning.

The question is WHAT counts as being resident at B, if I still rent a place at A. In other words, what is the creteria that defines residency at a given point (not 183 days logic, on a given day logic) in time if I rent more than one house?
Or by the same logic - these 183 days that you allude to - which days count in A and which in B? Is it merely that I am present in house A and not B and vice versa or is the criteria more sophisticated?