View Single Post
Old 26.10.2020, 18:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,688 Times in 10,973 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car tyre load index?

Quote:
View Post
Hi gurus I got a really nice Special for winter tires for my car but after I bought them I realized that the load index was a bit lower than what I used to have before ... can I not carry my girlfriend anymore??? :/

The gross weight or Gesamtgewicht of my car is 2385kg as written in my car papers. The tires I got have load index:
- front 94V (max 670kg per tyre)
- back 96V (max 710kg per tyre)

Doing the math these tyres support up to 2760kg, and almost 400kg more than the gross car weight; which should be enough to accommodate for 4 passengers and luggage.

I called a garage and they said it wasn’t right, that I needed 98V front and 100V back. Then I called the technical branch of the strassenverkersamt and they confirmed it was OK. However, I was left wondering whether my reasoning for calculating whether it works or not was flawed e.g. if I get one flat tyre do the others have to be able to support the whole car?

Any hints appreciated.
You will never drive on 3 so it's irrelevant, even with a burst tire the weight will go via the rims to the road.
I assume thats the max weight including passengers & luggage, you claim car not tank.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post: