View Single Post
Old 29.10.2020, 23:58
Forum Legend

Groaned at 153 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 7,584 Times in 2,591 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss German in School

Do the set reading before the lecture, prepare what you need clarifying, make a point out of insisting that all and any information relating to exams is conveyed in High German and escalate to the Rektor if this does not happen.

Alternatively, befriend the most nerdy kid in the class and ask to clarify with them - they probably don't enjoy the spoiled kids being raucous and expecting the degree they paid for to not actually involve too much work.
We had several students who went ballistic because the lecturer's slides were sometimes in English. The lecturer argued that they were expected to have a good command of English with a Business degree. Threats of getting lawyers involved were made. So, yeah, maturity is not an automatic feature of higher education participants.

Instead of getting upset, approach it differently. I always found it super hard to sit through lectures, so I made sure I attended strategically and was a valuable contributor when I WAS there. Once people figured out I was an English native speaker who would happily help them with stuff and had pretty good notes in German too, there was always someone happy to fill in the gaps. Just always make sure to attend the first and the last two classes. We didn't have mandatory attendance on account of it being adult education, and I was often absent, still got my degree. If you do have to attend everything, make sure you prepare and use whatever is said as a complement rather than the first time you hear it.

My point is: study yourself, only use lecturers to clarify and to understand the subjects they really care about for the exam. Then it doesn't really matter if you don't understand everything they are saying. I mean, it's BWL, it's pretty standard: understand supply and demand, know how to optimise taxes and write a contract, be capable of producing and/or understanding a balance sheet, it's pretty much the same all the time. Your lecturers are not going to tell you anything that you don't have in your books, the only variance is which part of the books they really want you to be able to understand and apply.

Is your uni in Oerlikon by any chance? Your class sounds like some of the ones I was in. One student threatened to have me become the class pariah when he heard that I wanted to complain about people not only cheating in exams but being extremely distracting while doing so. He literally said "there is a reason I pay 10k a year to go to this uni, we are the customer and I expect to get my degree at the end without any problems". Lovely. Meanwhile, I would rather not spend a huge sum of money to end up with a piece of paper that I worked very hard for being worthless because some douchebags ruin the reputation of the school.
The following 3 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post: