View Single Post
Old 30.10.2020, 00:37
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 53 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 1,427 Times in 833 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss German in School

Quote:
View Post
Landers, I can assure you Stoke speak sounded like a dialect, with grammar to match. 'I were stood standing there waiting0, or 'was you frit chuck?' - or 'heyup luv' - 'why can't you speak proper like what we do' - and 'she were proper mardy like' or 'hang on a mo I'll hav a loouk in the boouk' - or 'me dad were going up t'bank in t'rain' ... did sound a bit more like dialect than just accent, lol.

You might have a point. I guess it depends on your view of what's dialect, what's different and what's simply poor English. "I were, you was" drives me crazy and it's not necessarily a north/south thing but rather a poor-education thing. I hate "them things" . This is how people talk when they don't go to school. Short adverbs - "talk proper" were ok but dropped out of approved English a long time ago. It's considered wrong now but Americans still talk in this way and it's only questioned by English/British people. "me mum" is common everywhere and I guess could be called dialect.

Also in the UK, other than perhaps people like my Dad who didn't spend much time at school and doesn't know any better, don't take to spelling words phonetically. Maybe was the case 100 years ago. Here people 'misspell' words deliberately and I suppose it's their desire to separate themselves from their neighbour in the North.
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post: