View Single Post
Old 30.10.2020, 13:11
Forum Legend

Groaned at 204 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 18,569 Times in 7,576 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss German in School

Quote:
View Post
However, in the German-speaking parts of Switzerland, it is considered very usual that education, courses, trainings, workshops, university lectures, etc. are all in Dialekt. This is the norm, not the exception.
The rules of education in Switzerland (German speaking) that education must be done in Schriftsprache (as they most like to call it around here). That covers Primary to Tertiary and further education. According to my daughters who've been through the full gamut and are currently at the FHNW:

In primary, the teachers are not supposed to use dialect when teaching. But given that the children only know dialect (usually) when they start, they often switch. My experience was that during parents' evenings, if you requested Schriftssprache, the teachers would honour that. Other parents not (during Q&A), but that's to be expected.

In secondary and on, it's far more expected not to teach in dialect. Some teachers permit it, others will pull students up for speaking dialect.

My daughters' experiences at the FHNW are that the lecturers may ask whether people are happy with dialect, but if one person says no, then they don't use it (there are occasional slips of course). Some will pull up students for speaking dialect under these circumstances; others won't, or not always.

So, dialect instruction may be common, but it isn't according to the rules, and OP is correct to complain. Especially as they're paying for the course themselves!

I suggest the OP does one or more of the following:
  • makes a t-shirt with "Schriftsprache bitte!" in large, friendly letters
  • makes a sign to hold up when dialect raises its head
  • takes a dialect course - it's not that hard to learn! I've managed to pick up a bit - at least to understand - by doing a course, and I've only got B1 German and huge holes in my vocabulary.
  • moves somewhere where they're rather less precious about these things (like Basel... )