Thread: Ask a Scientist
View Single Post
Old 01.11.2020, 09:49
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²

Groaned at 348 Times in 240 Posts
Thanked 18,830 Times in 9,809 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
But lettuce does have seeds, we just don't see them in the shops because by the time they've "gone to seed" it's too late to eat them.

Iceberg is bland, but it has the right crunch for things like sandwiches / burgers. Of the real lettuces that or romaine would be my choice, my other preferences for nussli or rocket aren't actually lettuce.

There probably is something evolutionary in kids preferences, we're evolved to seek calories and lettuce doesn't really work for that. Evolution is a very blunt tool and it will take a while before it catches up with modern food availability.
That would mean adults focus on fiber/nutrients and kids on proteins, which really to my observation is the case. Except some veggies are ok for kids (broccoli, brussel sprouts...others are more gourmands and eat all). I was always intrigued by cravings that copy what we need.

I think Iceberg tastes ok to kids because it isn't bitter but sweet-ish. There is nothing too offensively intense about it.

I can hear my dentist reminding me to eat hard to chew food to stop the evolution of teeth cramming at front part of our mouth.

I am personally not a fan of Iceberg, I like kale, rukola, chard, côte-de-bette..but one doesn't find them so easily in our small community nor sells them easily to kids, either, at dinner times.

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein

Last edited by MusicChick; 01.11.2020 at 10:29.