View Single Post
Old 02.11.2020, 01:16

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
hyper has no particular reputation at present
Tax Calculation/Refund when shifted cantons during the year

Hello Folks,

I have a query regarding the tax calculation and refund when we have moved cantons during the year.

In 2019, my wife and I were living in Basel Stadt (BS) upto August and moved to Basel Land (BL) in September. We both have B permits issued in early August 2019; wife was working on L permit before that and I started working in the second half of Aug.

As per our understanding and advice from a tax consultant, we filed our taxes and applied for source tax correction for the full year in BL, where we were residing on 31 December 2019. The understanding was that doing so would take care of the correction and applicable refund for the full year. However, as per the tax correction letters we received from BL, the source tax correction has been applied only from September. There is no mention of the correction for the period from Jan to Aug.

In the calculations, the deductions (Hospital costs, Pillar 3a and Travel costs) have been apportioned for 4 months (Sep to Dec) only (e.g. Total Amount paid for Pillar 3a - CHF 6826; Amount considered for tax deduction - 6826/3 = 2275.35). So, we have not received the tax deduction benefit for 8 months!

From all the experienced folks out here, any pointers on how can we get the benefit of the tax deduction for the complete year?

Should we request BL to consider the deduction for the full year and process the tax refund? Or do we now need to send the source tax correction to BS separately?