View Single Post
Old 02.11.2020, 12:29
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,048 Times in 477 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New U.K. rules causing a headache

Quote:
View Post
Well, I’m intrigued how they would enforce it? There are no exit controls, no passport checks (other than the airline verifying your identity) at any UK airport. If asked just say business, it could be monkey business. They can’t hold you hostage.

As I said, your return to the UK likely will be more challenging.
Exit controls are quite easy to implement for COVID, we have them already in airport for destinations with entry checks:

Airports - already in place, these are done by airlines. It's totally normal. Any airline that travels to a country with entry checks is used to it. The "policy" is that if a destination country rejects a passenger, the airline is liable to fly them back + associated costs (+ in some cases a fine). Hence, airlines have policies and procedures to check outbound passengers (pre-COVID, this is nothing new). They just need to extend that, so instead of looking for a Visa, or permit or something, they get a reason to travel (expect another form). These vary from airline to airline. Some do it online, some at the checkin counter, some at the boarding gate.

This was "tested" a few months ago (Feb/March, when I cam back to CH from Heathrow with BA). The online checkin looked at your passport nationality (API - advanced passenger info), and for me had a notice stating you had to be a resident or citizen and couldn't do online check-in. They forced everyone to go to the normal check-in desk where you had to state you were a Swiss resident... and then they were re-checking residence permits at the gate - if you didn't have a Swiss residence permit, you weren't allowed to fly.

Same applies for anyone in the UK on flights to USA - pre-boarding, you get checked to make sure you will be allowed in at your destination. Nothing new.

For seaports, a similar process applies - you get denied boarding. This has been tested as part of the new increased staffing for brexit.

M.

Last edited by Spinal; 02.11.2020 at 12:46.
The following 2 users would like to thank Spinal for this useful post: