View Single Post
Old 02.11.2020, 20:58

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
hyper has no particular reputation at present
Queries on tax calculation and filing taxes

Hello Folks,

My wife and I live in BL canton and this will be our first full tax year while living and working in Switzerland.

For the tax year 2020, we received a tax declaration form few months back. We filled in our expected income and deductions and sent it back to the authorities.

Basis our declaration, we have now received 3 documents -
1. Steuerrechnung Bundessteuer 2020 provisorisch (Provisional Tax Bill for federal taxes) - Rate applied is 7.3%
2. Steuerrechnung Staatssteuer 2020 provisorisch (Provisional Tax Bill for cantonal taxes) - Rate applied is 12.4%
3. Gemeinde Steuerrechnung 2020 (Tax Bill for Gemeinde Binningen) - This is calculated as 48% of the BL tax (effective rate ~6% of overall salary)

Q1 - Is the gemeinde tax a part of the cantonal tax or additional? For instance, is our overall tax rate (7.3 + 12.4 = 19.7%) or (7.3 + 12.4 + 6 = 25.7%)?

Both our employers are deducting monthly witholding tax which is approx. 15% tax rate for both of us which is lower than the actual rate of tax calculated by the authorities in either case.

Q2 - Assuming the tax calculation by the authorities is correct, is the lower witholding tax standard practice or is there a discrepancy in the witholding tax calculation by both employers? This is just to understand so that we can manage our finances better for the lumpsum outgo.

For doc 1 and 2, the letter mentions provisional tax and the orange payment slips do not specify an amount. For doc 3, the balance amount to be paid is specified in the orange payment slip and the due date is for this month.

Q3 - Given the above, am I correct in understanding that we do not need to pay the provisional federal and cantonal tax right now? And that we need to calculate and pay any outstanding tax while filing the taxes early next year?

Q4 - When we file the taxes for 2020, do we need to file a full tax return or source tax correction?

Q5 - Lastly, do we need to file separately for all three authorities or just file it with the BL canton? Consequently, will extra payment/refund be processed by a single authority (i.e. BL canton) or differently by all 3 authorities?

Thank you if you read upto here and an additional thanks in advance for your help.