Thread: Ask a Scientist
View Single Post
Old 04.11.2020, 15:56
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
eairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
Okay, here's a new question.

I had to wait (for a very long time) in the foyer of a building with a glass lift. I had time to notice that, no matter where it went, whether transporting people up or down, once done it always returned to wait on the ground floor.

Perhaps this is usual behaviour for lifts, but I couldn't have know this before, firstly because other lifts I may have (but did not) observe have been closed, and secondly as I've never otherwise (and may I never again!) had such a long time to kill in the presence of a transparent lift. But through the glass I could see that a completely empty lift travelled several floors down, although nobody had summonsed it, to wait at the bottom. Always.

I had previously thought that, in general, lifts waited where someone had last left them, until summonsed by the next hopeful passenger. Was I wrong? Do lifts, even when empty, always settle at ground level? If so, why?

Are they not using electricity unnecessarily, to travel all the way down, for nothing, and then have to travel all the way up again, when someone on a higher storey calls them?

Or does travelling down and waiting on ground level at rest perhaps cost less, in terms of electricity, or perhaps wear-and-tear, as they then don't have to work against gravity, from several storeys up?

I have a friend who is a lift engineer...

It's a programming thing for User Experience. In a tall building almost 100% of people take the lift up, but not 100% ride it down. (Some % walk down the stairs). If the entrance and exit of the building are all on one floor (ground floor), 100% of traffic starts and ends at that level, so statistically if programming to return the lift to its "most likley" next use position, the ground floor makes sense. It also provides incoming visitors with a quicker access to the lift experience for their first impression.

If the lift is fitted with machine learning, it could also work out over time that in the later part of the day the pattern changes, and therefore adapt its parking place accordingly to return to the laziest/busiest floor... (He's not sure anyone has done that bit of programming yet, or even if the logic works).

Kind regards

Ian