View Single Post
Old 07.11.2020, 17:17
Forum Legend

Groaned at 74 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,493 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you buy a property constructed on a Landfill site?

Quote:
View Post
I think it's difficult to compare Switzerland's property value with the UK's. A landfill with construction material won't be looked upon as negatively as perhaps abroad.
Perhaps. I had taken those posting their "no" votes on this thread to be talking (amongst other things) about their experiences in buying in Switzerland. But then, well, perhaps they weren't, and I wondered whether you could be right.

So I googled specifically within Switzerland and was rather disconcerted at the number of articles that came up about landfills in various places, touching on all sorts of aspects of the matter. With regard to both recreational areas and houses on landfills: about who would discover or report a problem, who would pay for the inspections and who for the work of replenishing the earth, and whether this would be the responsibility of the owners or the municipality, and whether it should be done en masse and to what extent during occupation or with all the owners and tenants out, etc. And whether, when once some private or legal person had ordered such inspections and recovery of the earth, anyone would be responsible for the loss of value of the property, if any, or if the earth were restored, who would benefit from any increase in the value of the property.

Here's a legal magazine, with a reference to Ecosens in Wallisellen ZH. Disclaimer: I know nothing about them, other than the blurb:
A "leading consultancy" for "environmentally relevant problems in connection with real estate. The team has around 30 highly qualified scientists and lawyers..." who deal with matters such as "contaminated sites or environmental due diligence" and who "recommend that all potential buyers expressly ask for information on the topic of "environmental risks" early in their negotiations.
https://www.lawbility.ch/images/cour...guide_2018.pdf

I would want nothing to do with such a purchase, for myself, neither while living in such a property or renting it out, either of which could be disturbed by someone else's decision to deal with the rubbish and restore the earth.

If I owned such a property the knowledge about the landfil would hang over the value of the property like a dark cloud, since there'd always be a moral and a legal duty on me as seller, to declare the position, (since both parties must act in good faith) and the risk that any new potential buyers may react just as those on this thread, or might engage an expert Swiss inspection consultancy like Ecosens.

Last edited by doropfiz; 07.11.2020 at 17:48.