View Single Post
Old 08.11.2020, 22:25

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
sly badger has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gift from abroad taxation

Hey, I have studied this topic, I am Polish as well and also will receive some funds from my parents (I live in Geneva, so it may be different in Zurich, but I doubt it, should be similar)

1./ Doesnt matter where they transfer you the funds, Polish or Swiss bank. Why would they have to transfer it to Swiss bank at all? I dont think it matters, gift is a gift and tax laws do not treat it different way whether you send it to Russian or Norwegian or Polish account.

2/ In most cantons (or all of them) gifts for direct family members such as father-children are tax free or at least to certain threshold. In Geneva there is no tax at all if I receive money from my father.

3/ In Geneva I must declare such donation within 2 months from the date of bank transfer. This is done by special declaration, which you send to tax authorities. Declaration is 1 page long, simple (names of involved parties, relationship between them, some personal data). You attach proof of transfer, for example bank transfer proof, which you can simply download from your bank.

4/ Please remember to declare donation in Poland to Polish tax office (urząd skarbowy) . You will not pay any tax if this is from your parents, but you must declare it within 6 months from the day of transfer, even if you do not live in Poland at all (no domicile). Please read about it, as there is lots of misconceptions about it - people think that because one is not domiciled in Poland (if you are not), you dont pay any tax. You DO if you will not declare it as a donation within 6 months! There is special form for donations, you can find lots of info in the internet. Also, do some internet research or consult with tax advisor WHERE you send this declaration. I thought it was my local tax office (where my parents live and where I lived years ago before I moved to Switzerland), but no, it seems it is Naczelnik Trzeciego urzędu skarbowego Warszawa Sródmiescie (you will find some articles online). Again, I am not tax advisor and I cannot confirm it 100 %, but it seems to be the case.