View Single Post
Old 12.11.2020, 17:33
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 620 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cannot get my apartment deposit back

Quote:
View Post
Ten months ago I left my flat, which I rented from Primestay and I still did not get my deposit refunded. I contacted them many times, every time they say I will get my money back in a few weeks. Did anyone have a similar experience, any advice?
Legally a deposit can be kept up to 1 year, ( very rare).
Do you have a hand over protocol? Were there any repairs that had to be done after
you left?

https://blog.homegate.ch/de/was-tun-...n%20f%C3%BChrt.

"How to get your rental deposit back
If no costs such as rent debts, ancillary costs or tenant damage are open, the landlord will normally pay you the rent deposit within 30 days of the end of the contract. One way to do this yourself is to note on the return protocol that your landlord agrees to the return of the rental deposit.

If you still do not get your rental deposit back, you have the following options:

• Send your landlord a registered letter and ask him within a deadline set by you to explain in writing why he has not yet released the rental deposit.
• Contact an arbitration authority if this does not result in your rental deposit being paid out either.
• Provided you are not dependent on the rental deposit, you can go to the bank after one year. They now have to pay you the rent deposit including interest, you do not need the consent of your landlord - unless your landlord has taken any legal action beforehand.

When can the rent deposit be withheld?
If you owe your former landlord rental interest or ancillary costs or if you caused damage to the apartment, he can withhold the rent deposit. However, once the damage has been repaired and the craftsmen have paid, you can expect both a final invoice and the release of the remaining amount of the deposit within a period of three months. If you have any doubts about the billing, you are entitled to inspect the bills."

Last edited by Sigh; 12.11.2020 at 17:37. Reason: Added info
The following 6 users would like to thank Sigh for this useful post: