View Single Post
Old 13.11.2020, 19:50
A modal singularity

Groaned at 362 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 15,052 Times in 6,520 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skiing in Zermatt

All good advice so far, just a couple of additional points:

Clothing: I'd recommend Decathlon for the best choice of budget clothing. Good quality own-brand stuff.
Make sure you get at least two pairs of ski socks, and once you're there do not be tempted to wear multiple pairs of socks for additional warmth, they will simply restrict circulation, as well as making the boot much more difficult to control.
Underwear. Go for artificial fibres, not cotton. Cotton just absorbs sweat and leaves it next to the skin. You will get hot and sweaty, and you will get cold. The absolute best is Merino wool (very fine, almost like silk). I noticed that Ländi had some polyester/Merino blend underwear last week, at quite reasonable prices. It's also very resistant to picking up body odours, so a single set should last you all week.
Multiple thin layers is always better than fewer thicker ones.

Instruction: There are a number of British-run ski schools in Zermatt, mostly employing British instructors. It's been a while since I was there so I won't recommend any in particular, but BASI-trained instructors are often, well sometimes, maybe, better than Swiss, especially when it comes to teaching older beginners.
I'd suggest talking to them about your fitness level to establish the best pattern of lessons. Full days every day are often just too much for non-sporting adults, so try to get something with some half days or even a day off midweek to recover from the inevitable aches and pains.

Equipment: many people prefer to rent local to them at lower prices than in-resort shops, but be aware that you may find the boots (or maybe even the skis) they give you may not always be the best for learning; if you rent in resort you can go and change them. Your instructor will be able to help establish if they're the right fit and stiffness.

Getting there: Zermatt is traffic free, so you have to take a train from Täsch up to the village, so many people prefer to take the train the whole way. Electric taxis will take you to your accommodation - check if your hotel has their own, as many do and you'll save yourself a few francs. There's a free phone to most hotels at the station, so you can call when you arrive.

Best of luck, and remember to enjoy the experience!