View Single Post
Old 14.11.2020, 00:29
A modal singularity

Groaned at 360 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 15,035 Times in 6,511 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skiing in Zermatt

Quote:
View Post
The easiest way to carry your skis is on your shoulder. You want the tips pointing forward and the bindings just behind your shoulder. Rest your arm (from the same shoulder) on the front part of the skis so that a little pressure down raises the back of the skis above the heads of those around you. In this position it is quite effortless and saves you from Newbie mistakes.
Quote:
View Post
I’m sorry I have a different opinion here but when I learned to ski I was told never to do this. Of course - the number of times I have been whacked or almost been whacked by someone carrying skis like that, especially newbies! I try to keep 2m away from people carrying skis like that but in queues they tend to sneak up on me!
It's the best way by far to carry skis, as Bowlie says. I often teach newbies to do it like that, sometimes just telling them that it makes them look like they know what they're doing.

Quote:
View Post
Get a ski helmet with full visor. Do not get open face ski helmet plus the goggles. Speaking from experience, there is no fogging no fiddling with goggles and straps, it is warm and wind will not bite your face.
I've never felt the need for such a thing. TBH I don't usually ski with a helmet anyway, except when teaching, and goggles are reserved for extreme conditions; sunglasses (with switchable lenses for different conditions) are my preferred eyewear 90% of the time. I don't see any problem with goggles like you describe though, except with young kids who don't know what they're doing.