View Single Post
Old 19.11.2020, 01:10
All mod cons

Groaned at 290 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 19,557 Times in 7,699 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I lost >70k in the stock market in less than 1 year

Quote:
View Post
I read this as the OP losing money because he had to sell in a depressed market. Eg, he was sitting on a position of XOM that was worth CHF200k when he bought it back in January, but it's fallen to CHF130k by the time he was 'forced' to withdraw it. That is a real loss.

It is also a CHF70k lesson as to why the common advice is not to invest money that you'll need in the next 5 years.
I'm reasonably sure that Phil didn't realise a real loss, partly because he didn't post to agree with your assessment , but mostly because of this:
Quote:
View Post
i recorded the shares and share value at time of sale into a separate portfolio so that i can track how much i lose on the deposit.
He has been tracking the value of his former portfolio so he can work out just how much he has "lost" since he disposed of it, not at the time of disposal. A bad case of cognitive dissonance, a sort of reverse buyer's remorse. Well, seller's remorse, I guess.

Again, taking Bitcoin as my example, I have been hodling assiduously since 2017. Throughout that time I have missed several opportunities to make a killing by selling high, then rebuying low, rinsing and repeating (including the obvious opportunity, when Bitcoin plunged to less than $5,000 in March this year on the back of global COVID lockdowns). Now BTC is going through $18,000. So I lost $13,000 per coin.

Except I didn't, because I still own those coins and they're worth a lot more than I paid for them. IF (and that's a big if) I sell them now, I'll make several times my initial investment in profit. If not, I continue not to have made or lost anything.
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post: