View Single Post
Old 19.11.2020, 12:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 162 Times in 141 Posts
Thanked 7,497 Times in 3,439 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

Quote:
View Post
Looking around at a Volvo garage I was in,the hybrids were on average around 20 K more expensive so financially no reason to go for it.

If I want to go fully electric then they have to chop down half a Forest and then dig up the mountain side to get at the Lithium and then figure out how to safely dispose of the battery when my car reaches end of life.I like forests and mountains so thatís not an option for me.

I read somewhere that just to manufacture an electric car has a greater CO2 output than a standard car manufacture.

I donít see the electric car we have today as the long term solution. Letís see if hydrogen or some other technology will gives us a proper solution.
I would love to know what you were comparing as Volvo (at least in CH) only offer hybrids or fully electric vehicles. There's nothing else in their product range any more.

In any event, the like for like hybrid to non-hybrid price difference was never as much as 20K.

Oh and your assumptions on electric are wholly wrong, as Don Molina wrote the full system efficiency of electirc is already significantly better than fossil. And as was pointed out further above (someone posted a nice link) hydrogen is significantly less efficient than battery.