View Single Post
Old 19.11.2020, 19:56
Forum Legend

Groaned at 161 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 7,447 Times in 3,413 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

Quote:
View Post
He said exactly solar and wind and added 'in good weather conditions'.
Here is the quote:
'EVs are a perfect mix with solar or wind which in future will have overcapacity in good weather conditions.'
I mostly said renewables but did specially mention solar and wind in connection with ev charging - and I only mean overcapacity in terms of their planned overall contribution to the grid, basically what newtoswitz said (I also believe nuclear should be a part of that mix).

I have PV panels on my roof. These produce as much electricity as my peak demand, The rest of the time - when it's sunny - they feed the grid; hence I have planned surplus capacity. You plan a regional or national grid on the same basis, hence you build surplus capacity into your generation. Particularly for solar and wind where generation is less controllable.

You use that excess to charge or run stuff that can store energy - pumped storage or batteries. Same as I will at home when battery prices come down a bit more. You can and - as mentioned - some already do use a battery car as home energy storage

Last edited by baboon; 19.11.2020 at 20:17.