View Single Post
Old 20.11.2020, 16:21
Forum Legend

Groaned at 162 Times in 141 Posts
Thanked 7,493 Times in 3,437 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

Quote:
View Post
BJ can say what he wants, but ultimately it's Parliament that will decide.

I've not read through he whole thread, but someone mentioned Hydrogen. This is the way car manufacturers are going. They are investing hundred's of millions into this technology to develop fuel cells and we'll likely see these models sooner rather than later. This will then leapfrog battery technology making it obsolete.

And the British government is currently providing hundreds of million pounds to companies to research and further develop this technology - so on the face of it, it makes his announcement seem odd!!
In the UK and given a decent parliamentary majority what the PM wants the PM almost always gets.

As mentioned before, I do not see hydrogen taking off for cars. I used to be a fan but have come to realise the low system efficiency coupled with the high cost manufacturing and the infrastructure issues (converting a single fuel station to hydrogen costs about 1,000,000) I no longer see it. Particularly as significant cost and efficiency improvements to batteries are on the horizon.

As someone else already wrote above, I wouldn't be surprised to see fuel cells appearing in heavy vehicles (trucks, busses) but no real breakthrough in cars.

There's a decent summary paper from consultants Arthur D Little here if you're interested.