View Single Post
Old 24.11.2020, 23:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General property buying question(s)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for another scary ASBESTOS story.

I bought a house from 1969 with some asbestos in a bathroom adhesive and in corrugated cement roof. Contractor quotes were the same as a usual roof replacement plus disposal fee for asbestos sheeting, which came to an extra few 100s.
Asbestos sheeting is not a big deal, particularly if external, as they don't need protective equipment etc.

However, if it requires mechanical removal it's a different story, they have to effectively use full personal protection and a cleanroom setup to avoid filling the rest of the house with asbestos dust.

One of the biggest challenges is asbestos containing adhesive used for tiles, which naturally is hard to remove without creating significant dust. I've removed tiles in my kitchen and bathroom (not with an asbestos problem), and went through packs of N95 masks in the process.