View Single Post
Old 25.11.2020, 17:43

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
bossie has a reputation beyond reputebossie has a reputation beyond reputebossie has a reputation beyond reputebossie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cream cheese for Frosting?

Quote:
I read the whole thread and I still have a question. Can you give me an example of recipe that doesn't work with, for example Migros Frischkäse?
Sure thing.

Firstly, the Migros fromage frais would probably give okay results in what I call an English-style cheesecake recipe such as this one (so-called English only because it's the first place I ate a non New York-style baked cheesecake). The filling is meant to be relatively moist and light: the cream cheese is mixed with sour cream and eggs and beaten until fluffy before baking.

A New York-style cheesecake (such as this one, my all-time favourite) is made of a huge amount of the heavier/more solid cream cheese, plus a few eggs and sugar. You get best results when baked in a water bath, and the final texture is very dense, not fluffy at all. I know many people who have tried to make this style of cheesecake using the spreadable Philadelphia that is ubiquitous in CH and it simply doesn't work. There is too much moisture for the cake to set properly. Frishkäse would definitely not work either.

I'll say it again, the Gala cheese I mentioned above works perfectly for "real" cheesecake, and would also be suitable for cream cheese frosting (which is terrible if you make it using the spreadable stuff).

Last edited by bossie; 25.11.2020 at 18:42.
The following 2 users would like to thank bossie for this useful post: