View Single Post
Old 26.11.2020, 19:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 299 Times in 256 Posts
Thanked 22,358 Times in 8,112 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Over moderation part 2

Quote:
View Post
A complete wink? Not an insult I'm familiar with.

Seriously though, in that post, and in several others even in this thread, individuals are being picked out as examples of whatever sort of behaviour anyone wants to whinge about. In themselves many of these posts could be viewed by some as attacks, and it's very difficult for us to moderate these sorts of things when there's no actual "FMF is an idiot" type of direct insult.

Do you guys enjoy winding people up like this? Do you feel that it makes you look big? Do you do it deliberately to provoke others to complain and get them censured?

I don't understand why people on internet forums behave this way, but I accept that it's nothing new. And every attempt we make to ask people to just self-moderate a little bit seems to backfire on us.

I've always used a very simple form of self-moderation, on the basis that I've chosen from the first day I joined EF not to be anonymous, am personally known to many EFers, and can be very easily identified. Here's the question I ask myself before hitting Submit "if one of my mates down the pub, or one of my next week's clients, were reading this, would this make me look silly, immature or worse in their eyes?"

I do feel that if more people looked at their own posts in this way the whole forum could be a much nicer place.
The following 3 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post: