View Single Post
Old 26.11.2020, 23:01
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,009 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Pension( Vested Benefits )

At a very minimum, you may want to transfer from UBS (where I presume it's just sitting there earning 0.01% interest) to a company like VIAC where you can at least invest it in equities. I did this last month after apathetically ignoring the money at UBS for more than a year. Results so far have been excellent (about 8% up) though a) it's early days and b) I'm a bit reckless with investments. I like risk.

As for withdrawal, I was under the impression that if you were leaving CH top go to the UK you could take the pot in cash (having first moved it to Schwyz, or somewhere else where you'll pay v little tax). If that fails, you'll have to wait until whatever the earliest age is in CH for taking a pension. In the UK it's 55. Is it the same in CH? Not sure but easy enough to find out.

If it helps, I found the VIAC people very helpful when I was thinking of moving the fund to them. They answered a lot of general questions (in English) about tax and regulations. Why not give them a call?

As far as i know, it doesn't matter if you're working or not though in the UK, once you start taking money out of a pension pot or SIPP then you can't put money back into it. But for taking money out of a 'foreign' pot, I'd have thought that would be OK -- but do get some proper advice.

Quote:
View Post
I think it’s highly unlikely that UK residents will be able to pull Swiss pensions out as cash. There were existing agreements back in the 70s and 80s between the two countries.
Not Pillar 1 of course, no, but different rules apply to Pillar 2 and 3 funds. There's been quite a lot of discussion on this forum if you search for it.