View Single Post
Old 27.11.2020, 19:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 207 Times in 184 Posts
Thanked 18,834 Times in 7,677 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
"Your German is not good enough..."

My son got this. He arrived in Switzerland aged 10, with no German. He got to secondary, having got the highest maths results in the canton, including a question no-one else solved. He went to Gym, and ended up with a masters in Physics from Basel University. Throughout that (University excepted), the refrain from a few teachers* "Your German is not good enough..."

My daughter rose from Real Schule to Secondär to Gym. Thence to a prestigious apprenticeship, BM, now studying for a degree in Pharmaceutical Engineering at the FHNW. Throughout that (FHNW excepted), the refrain from a few teachers* "Your German is not good enough..."

My other daughter, Secondär, FMS, (Got a degree at the Open University in French and German), C2 German from the Goethe institute, and now at an FH to gain a teaching qualification for Primary. throughout that (OU and Goethe Institute excepted), the refrain from a few teachers* "Your German is not good enough..."

In all cases, their German teachers have said "What? Your German is fine". Weird, huh? I wonder who is right? (The sad thing is, some of these people make decisions based on their unqualified opinion)

(Flameproof jacket donned. Go for it).

Last edited by NotAllThere; 27.11.2020 at 20:17.
The following 19 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post: