View Single Post
Old 27.11.2020, 20:09
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 27 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,385 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Your German is not good enough..."

Was the problem oral or written German? I assume no highly specialized technical job require to be good at speaking, just writing.

But I understand. That's why I take a more or less cynical approach to language learning beyond the mother one: I'm never going to reach to the level of being good enough, ever. I will always make more grammar and orthography mistakes than the average elementary school children in their mother language. I will always have an accent. So? Focus on other stuff, in my case it's the technical one.

Hard to believe your son never answered I'm a physicist not writing engaging speeches for politicians. Same for your daughter: my thing is pharmaceutical eng., not a German literature professor.

I think the focus on languages on popular culture comes from the fact students are classified between gymnasium and trade school based on performance, and part of the performance is language. I think I'm a walking trigger of bad memories for all the people that wanted to go to gymnasium and university and could not because their German was not good enough. The listen to me talking or read an email from me and just wonder how the f*** I got accepted into university in first place.
The following 2 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post: