View Single Post
Old 27.11.2020, 20:24
Forum Legend

Groaned at 206 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 18,807 Times in 7,664 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Your German is not good enough..."

Quote:
View Post
My eldest (9) who was born here also gets this although his German was professionally assessed as being fine. I think a large part is the accent, he speaks English at home so will never have a guttural Swiss German accent.
I think some of it English. I think some of it could be that Swiss native speakers make a different category of errors, that don't quite jar as much. Although overall, the German is still pretty good. Remember - this is a minority of teachers, maybe 20-40%. By no means all.

Quote:
View Post
My only suggestion would be to be persistent and ignore the naysayers for as long as possible. Also, increased reading in German as well as practicing writing will also help immensely.
My second daughter was told the refrain by one of her professors, and retorted "I have C2 German from the Goethe Institute".... the professor was so apologetic, and began to consider other reasons for the perceived problem. (E.g. she gabbles under stress, regardless of language).

But yes, this is the strategy we've adopted. Challenge where necessary, always try to cooperate. And inform.

Funny thing - the second daughter is a published author in Switzerland... writing in German.