View Single Post
Old 27.11.2020, 20:28

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Bossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Your German is not good enough..."

Quote:
View Post
That's why I take a more or less cynical approach to language learning beyond the mother one: I'm never going to reach to the level of being good enough, ever. I will always make more grammar and orthography mistakes than the average elementary school children in their mother language. I will always have an accent. So? Focus on other stuff, in my case it's the technical one.
The thing is, I think it is very possible/relativley easy for non-native anglophones to achieve something close to fluency in English. My boss is an adult learner of English and has never lived in an anglophone environment, but I don't hear him make a grammatical or "pronounce-iation" error that would raise one of my eyebrows more often than once a month. Ditto for many of my colleagues.

But I've given up on writing in French. I know every word I want to use, but I just can't be arsed to spend ages double-checking the gender of nouns I rarely use, or looking up verb conjugations that differ in orthography but not pronunciation. Waste. Of. My. Time.

Last edited by Bossa Nova; 27.11.2020 at 20:47.