View Single Post
Old 27.11.2020, 23:29
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 215 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 1,997 Times in 983 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EXIT would you consider being a member?

Yes, fully aware of all this. But what many of us are saying, that it is wrong, and a way has to be found to make advanced directives so that someone who is clear and yet shows some confusion- can make a choice.

Because the way things are now, if Dementia or Alzheimers result in refusal for assistance to die- there are only 3 options

. - make the decision very soon after diagnosis, when the person may well have months or years of quality, albeit acceptably impaired life. Which is so wrong.

.- commit suicide in a very unpleasant and shocking way (my lovely neighbour jumped from the 3rd floor window- others even worse)

.- wait too late and be forced to 'live', if you can call that living (we experienced it first hand with my mil and several close relatives) through all the awful indignities, a pointless, cruel, awful charade of a 'life'- for the person and for their spouse, partner, children and grandchildren. NO, NOT FOR ME, ever. Seen it close- and I don't want it- ever.
The following 2 users would like to thank JackieH for this useful post: