View Single Post
Old 28.11.2020, 08:45
Forum Legend

Groaned at 204 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 18,587 Times in 7,581 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Your German is not good enough..."

Quote:
View Post
great- but lol, what is his German like? (jesting)
Pretty much like this:
Quote:
View Post
Now that they are out in the working world of Switzerland and nobody knows that they have an English speaking parent and only speak English at home, all they hear is how good their German is and how outstanding their English is.
Also my first daughter speaks dialect so well, that people think she is native.

Quote:
View Post
Many expats are very accepting of non-native English speakers when they struggle with English. Agreed.
But would those non-native English speakers find the same level of acceptance if they were in the US or the UK?
Funnily enough, my wife came to the UK age 12, and sister (8). My brother in law (who was 15) speaks heavily accented stilted English (has a degree in Civil Engineering, and built roads). They never encountered such comments. Their command of English is excellent.

I do think the English as a language is more fault tolerant than German. No English person would have a problem with "book" pronounced "booook" instead of "buck". Or "marrrsk" instead of "mask". In German schwul and schwül are quite different things - I can never remember which is which, so I always say "feucht".

@bossie. Sorry to hear of your trouble with French. I learned french from age 10 to 15, and found it easy. We just learned the gender of nouns as we went along, and how the verbs went, and the usually minor modifications to adjectives with some adjustment of word order. I'm very rusty, but still speak French now. Fortunately, my francophone friends aren't actually French, and make more mistakes than I do! The issue I have with German isn't the noun gender, but that the articles changes according to case! As do nouns and adjectives. I speak German fluently, but I worry it's fluent gibberish.

Last edited by NotAllThere; 28.11.2020 at 13:00.
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post: