View Single Post
Old 28.11.2020, 10:48
Forum Legend

Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,514 Times in 7,462 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Your German is not good enough..."

Quote:
View Post
Who do you choose to listen to?

How do you react to “your <insert skill or faculty> is not good enough”? Does it get you down or do you use that as an opportunity to improve?

It’s YOUR choice.
Hmm, it depends. If you're a kid this can be a real downer. Kids aren't vaccinated against this sort of tricks played by adults. I was wondering why some teachers couldn't just make some suggestions in regards with what needs to be improved - be that genders of the nouns, declination, syntax, whatever. Why do they feel the urge to take out their crystal ball and predict future academic tragedies because someone, during some class, didn't know that "repetition" is a feminine noun.
I would have expected more from them, but then again, this is a profession like every other profession - some are more gifted than others.

@bossie
I am grateful when friends correct my German. I totally get why your friends do that with your French- the wrong gender sort of modifies the entire structure of the sentence. I would do the same. Out of love, not nastiness. Maybe more discreetly or more tactful than your friends. I do the same with my children and they're not always happy.
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: