View Single Post
Old 30.11.2020, 10:10
Forum Legend

Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,743 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I move flats

Quote:
View Post
Ok, the plot thickens...

Turns out I am part of a rolling contract as I signed my name to an existing one (never saw this only a form to sign) that has been on going for years.

Reading around this also makes me liable for any damage incurred on the property? The place is hardly in good condition, its pretty old and shabby.

I guess I am going to be doubly screwed on trying to leave and also losing my deposit? This could be an expensive mistake.....

The ideal world would be to leave and take the flatmate as I trust and like him a lot and find somewhere different (that is, if he also wanted to move). But I feel like I might just have to grin and bear it if it means losing deposit as well...
Damage is not the same as normal wear and tear, as per many other threads you are not responsible for that and there is a clear scale of expected lifespan for most items.

You should have an inventory from when you moved in, and it is normal to take photos or notes to log the condition of things on entry for exactly this reason.