Thread: Notice period
View Single Post
Old 02.12.2020, 09:31
Forum Legend

Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,730 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Quote:
View Post
The trouble with the word "month" is that it's not a clear until of time like day or week. Someone new to Switzerland could easily and understandably take "one month's notice" to mean if you resign on the xth of the month you work until the xth of the next month.

One thing you can do if you have the balls is to simply tell them when you're leaving and stop working on that day.
But the meaning is clear - one month means to the same date in the next month. Every contract I've had (I checked) explicitly stated the end-of-month thing.

The question is whether it still means "end-of-month" even if not stated, due to the underlying law aSitUS quoted, or whether any contract has to completely state the period including that part. I don't think "it's always that way" is a valid contractual argument, although sometimes it can be for very clear "unwritten" standards.

I wouldn't recommend just leaving - unless the new job is dependent on the earlier date and is obviously secure and better than the current one.