View Single Post
Old 02.12.2020, 12:07
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swedeinbasel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice on tenant who did not pay rent and fled to Poland

Quote:
View Post
If the name and signature of the guy that left are not on the rental contract with the landlord, there's not much to do.

You might start a betriebung with the contract between you and him. What happens later is uncertain. There's the possibility that the guy contests the debt collection and then you need to demonstrate the validity of the contract. At this point the landlord will just say "I know nothing, did not sign anything".

@EFers, what could happen in this scenario?

I suppose he could contest the contract but I also have the original copy which I sent to him over email which he also sent back to me so there is a clear paper trail and record of him receiving and signing the contract. Anyway what everyone has said here is right. The landlord will have nothing to do with it but it will be a legal dispute between me and the tenant. I don't expect to get my money back but I am not ready to let this go and I am willing to pay some money to make his life difficult. I do not want him to come back to Switzerland and get another opportunity to scam someone else.