View Single Post
Old 08.12.2020, 13:53
Forum Legend

Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,688 Times in 10,973 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I would not agree with that at all. I'd say the started out in very much the same situation in 1973, but their paths after that are very different.

I remember the build up to 1973 very well and it was seen in Ireland as the biggest opportunity that had come along in the history and by God were we going to take full advantage of it! There was a massive program to support industry, educate farmer etc.... and the attitude was that if you were not preparing for this, there was something wrong with you!

Even politically, decisions on the country's position in terms of the EU is reserved to the people. The government can only negotiate, no more, after that it's up to the people - they have ownership of the decision. Unlike the UK, no one can argue that they did not vote for this or that, they voted on every single treaty change - the result might not have gone their way... but still.

It's also very difficult to find a household in Ireland where at least a few of the people have not lived and worked abroad, which is unusual. So the attitude of working with foreigners, doing business abroad etc... is very different.

So I'd say yes language is similar, law very much so - there is usually only a timing difference between the two jurisdictions. After that I'd say not so much.

In general though I'd say the EU favors small nations. In a small nation, for companies to grow exporting is a necessity not just an option as say for small companies in the UK. And the single market gives them a very big market on the same terms as their current market, if they take advantage of it.
The Irish PUNT lost value to the IIRC.