View Single Post
Old 22.12.2020, 02:09

Groaned at 34 Times in 23 Posts
mikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeable
Re: Billed 260CHF to change a light bulb!

Quote:
I've come across identical looking lights in the past and always, eventually found a way to allow the left or right end piece to slide away from the main part, allowing the tube to be removed.

Persevere, I'm almost certain this is how it will work. As someone already pointed out, there may be a tab of some sort holding it in place, so look at each end closely, use your camera if necessary, to see what looks differenti between the two end.
Quote:
View Post
Do you have a concierge for your building?
They might not be based in your block, and cover several buildings, so check in the foyer if there's a contact number on the notice board or a mention in the contract.
Otherwise ring the regie, explaining that you'll willing to do the work yourself but as the light fitting is old you're worried it will break. Emphasise that you're not asking for a technician to be sent, but advice on a problem.
Quote:
View Post
Yes, ask the caretaker what to do. Alternatively, if you have neighbours, especially some who have lived there for years, ask them. They may know the trick.
Quote:
View Post
That tube does look a bit dark, but also the starter could have failed. Replace it at the same time with one having a similar specification. Those plastic end caps are probably under spring tension and will pull apart allowing the tube to, well, drop on the floor unless you have three hands. Sometimes you have to rotate the tube through, say, 90 degrees to extract it.
Quote:
View Post
If it were me I would replace with a more modern LED under-counter light, then it doesn't matter if you break it trying to get to the tube. I've replaced quite a few ancient florescent light rails and as long as you power down from the fuse box its simple.

You can always fire an email to the agency to ask if you can replace a fluorescent light with a more efficient LED one, I doubt they would object.
Quote:
View Post
The picture shows two "tongues" at the back that disappear into the cabinets, they may be what the lamp is screwed onto. Can they be accessed/unscrewed from inside the cabinets?
thanks all again for your good advices. Just briefly, tried it all and to no avail. Checked also inside cabinets, no, there is nothing that could indicate how it can be released from the inside. In my case, it is always the regie and not concierge, and they would not bother giving any instructions. They simply issue a voucher for a company to come and check, and normally tenants are never charged; admittedly I never asked them to change the bulb... so yes, will mention in an email how best this can be resolved, and if they would have instructions, but am sure they will simply issue a voucher...

Will let you know how it went, eventually.