View Single Post
Old 28.12.2020, 13:09
la mod

Groaned at 117 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 16,406 Times in 5,222 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid Vaccine: Will you get it?

Quote:
View Post
To borrow from Noam Chomsky, consider that truisms are often derided by respectable opinion as 'conspiracy theories', 'Marxist', or some other epithet. Yet they are readily confirmed when subjected to inquiry.
I am all for dialogue since the last thing we need is further polarisation and entrenched views. There are two arguments I can see as to why you wouldn't take the vaccine now.
  • This is a global conspiracy and people seem to be jumping in like lemmings.
  • This technology is too new and 1 year is too soon to approve a vaccine that should take 10 years to develop
I can't answer the first since I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist. However the second is a fair point and as with everything you take a balanced risk/benefit decision. The longer you wait the more data we will have, and the more reassured you can be.

However it is worth noting that COVID has been unlike everything we have experienced before. The amount of crowd-think in the scientific community has been immense, with the free sharing of data and the fact that we are all in this together. With so many hands the work becomes easier and quicker, and with so much external scrutiny there is very little that can be hidden. We have amateur molecular biologists combing over the open source data on forums just like this, unaffiliated and unburdened by confidentiality. If they saw anything to worry about then I am sure it would be all over social media.

The proof of the pudding is ultimately whether you would give it to your own family. And based on everything I have seen, I would.
The following 10 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post: