View Single Post
Old 30.12.2020, 12:40
la mod

Groaned at 117 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 16,404 Times in 5,221 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid Vaccine: Will you get it?

Quote:
View Post
I can never understand how anyone can work in the industry with such a level of wilful ignorance.

Mine dew, I did once work with someone who claimed to be a statistician (turned out that she was a linguist, and thought that stats was just a matter of counting) and managed to blag herself a job as a stats programmer. I shared a cubicle with her for a while. Lasted just three months, as she was basically completely unqualified, inexperienced and useless.

Anyway, she was a bit anti-everything, including E-numbers, deodorant (pooh!) meat and drugs. I was recovering from some knee injury at the time and she really thought that taking anti-inflammatories (which would help speed up healing) was bad, and that one should simply sit on one's arse with one's feet up until the swelling went down. Mind-boggling.

She seemed to believe that she wasn't being hypocritical working in pharma by insisting that she would just work on "good" drugs.
One of the key qualifications should be a rational, logical and pragmatic approach to problem solving, free of biases and emotion. Working in pharma doesn't mean we pop pills with reckless abandon, I prefer to avoid any medication for the reason that everything is a toxin so its benefits have to outweigh its risks.
I remember my first toxicology lecture being told that even water is a toxin, taken in excess you can overwhelm the body's electrolyte balance, with brain swelling and eventual death.
The following 4 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post: