Thread: Ask a Scientist
View Single Post
Old 30.12.2020, 14:39
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,168 Times in 759 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
Something that I've thought about for a while. When you think about our programmed symmetry and the way it is at birth or before (say just a potential) - arms, feet, eyes, kidneys..Is anyone calculating the progressive asymmetry, as the life goes? What does it depend on? And, is the symmetry so real when it's only given as a potential. I mean anything in nature will probably have a similar principle. But I was thinking about human body/function specifically and why science would actually care. Is it part of medicine/biology or math?
There is “fluctuating asymmetry” which people attribute to developmental noise or stress.

And there is age related asymmetry of the face, where the asymmetry of the lower two thirds of the face are most pronounced as we age. Of course, that’s where the facial features are.

And then there’s brain asymmetry, as discussed here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...49763402000684

I’ve not seen much about functional asymmetry. Breast cancer is about 5-10% more likely in the left side, although it might be due to breast feeding more on the right being protective, or handedness. But I don’t know about things like unilateral kidney failure or lung disease. Unilateral joint replacements, and also having one eye much worse than the other.

From about 18 to 40, my right eye was nearsighted, left eye not. In my 40’s, left eye caught up with right. Now, as I develop presbyopia (near sightedness related to age), my distance vision improves.

Weird and interesting.