Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 30.12.2020, 22:35
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 40 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,502 Times in 747 Posts
speakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Thanks- he is advising 5000 daily, and it seems really over the top.

Lucky that up here in the mountains we do not get fog, and have plenty of sunshine and bright light throughout the winter. So I shall start with 800 daily, and see how it goes.
The 'upper tolerable limit' (the amount that can be taken by an adult with no adverse effects garnered from various studies) is 4000 IU per day. People vary in how fast they metabolize vitamin D, so there's a bit of a fudge factor there. The real way to calibrate how much D3 you need is to get an OH(25)D test (from the doctor or can be obtained from online vendors).

I've taken between 5000 and 7000 IU per day long term (with vitamin K2) and measure nearly at the top of the testing range (about 180 nmol/l - deficiency is below 75 nmol/l; toxicity is considered to start at about 250 nmol/l). I also get my calcium level tested (this would go out of whack with excessive vitamin D) and this always tests normal.

In my view, the government should be handing out vitamin D3 (like they do with iodine) as a COVID-19 preventative. 2000 IU per day should get most people to between 75 and 100 nmol/l (which is a reasonable place to be if you were previously deficient, as most people are).
The following 3 users would like to thank speakeron for this useful post: