Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 30.12.2020, 23:44
Forum Legend

Groaned at 250 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 8,971 Times in 3,386 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
The 'upper tolerable limit' (the amount that can be taken by an adult with no adverse effects garnered from various studies) is 4000 IU per day. People vary in how fast they metabolize vitamin D, so there's a bit of a fudge factor there. The real way to calibrate how much D3 you need is to get an OH(25)D test (from the doctor or can be obtained from online vendors).

I've taken between 5000 and 7000 IU per day long term (with vitamin K2) and measure nearly at the top of the testing range (about 180 nmol/l - deficiency is below 75 nmol/l; toxicity is considered to start at about 250 nmol/l). I also get my calcium level tested (this would go out of whack with excessive vitamin D) and this always tests normal.

In my view, the government should be handing out vitamin D3 (like they do with iodine) as a COVID-19 preventative. 2000 IU per day should get most people to between 75 and 100 nmol/l (which is a reasonable place to be if you were previously deficient, as most people are).
Interesting... Does K2 help with absorption? I know that magnesium is necessary for the body to metabolize vitamin D but I guess I've never heard anything about K2 before. (I'll have to look that up; maybe I should take it).

I was a bit surprised last November when my vit D was found to be a bit low -- a score of 19 when it should be 25 or higher -- and my doctor told me to take the very high dose (.8 mL) of the therapie drops every day, all winter long (along with magnesium), whereas before when it was low, I was always told to just take .8 mL daily for one month and then the regular dose after that, each day. This was also the first time the dr. has ever told me to take magnesium with the vitamin D. It seems that some doctors are really pushing higher doses this year. But I know that vitamin D toxicity can happen (and is somewhat common), and I do worry about that.