View Single Post
Old 01.01.2021, 15:02
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 438 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,233 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
They could always just join EFTA and achieve their objectives via the EEA agreement. And they are free to continue using sterling for as long as they like, of course having a second central banking dealing in the currency and a second government issuing debt would make it difficult for the Bank of England, but it is not as if this is new, Ireland did it for a long time and the UK had no choice, but accept it.
This is true, although the SNP have already firmly tied their colours to the mast of rejoining the EU, that this is incredibly unlikely on SNP terms seems irrelevant to them or their supporters.

I actually believe an independent Scotland could thrive under EFTA like Norway or Iceland were she not so addicted to welfare and high spending.

Quote:
View Post

Yes - and no. Now we have accepted Free Movement, Switzerland is one of the few countries that has been able to achieve a sort of 'cake and eat' it Deal with the EU, that was never ever going to be open to the UK. So perhaps best keep it that way for now. In my heart and mind, I shall always be a European- noone can take that away from me.
The UKs trade deal is far more “cake and eat it” than the Swiss bilaterals currently in place.
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post: