View Single Post
Old 02.01.2021, 10:16
A modal singularity

Groaned at 369 Times in 240 Posts
Thanked 15,597 Times in 6,737 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK citizen, Brexit: Obtaining C permit in future

Quote:
View Post

Is this straightforward, as in just apply for a C permit or alternatively Migration office automatically will send you a C permit in due course? or do I have to meet all the new permanent residency requirement i.e. language skills and all? I don't mind either but would like to prepare in advance.
I can't see how that part of the process could possibly be changed - cantonal authorities decide how much to test those criteria for C permit applications, but im general they are no different for EU or non-EU citizens, notwithstanding those countries with special agreements to avoid the language requirement.

What may have changed is the length of residence required before C permit eligibility; as I understand it (which may well be less than completely) the five-year residency period only applies to EU citizens, everybody else needs to wait ten years. Whether that will change for UK citizens is perhaps the most important question for you.